Margan Restaurant - Hunter Valley
Chef - Thomas Boyd & Winemaker - Andrew Margan
Bring us the Perfect Match, step by step.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 6 hours
1.3kg Lamb Shoulder, bone-in and neck off
250ml Balsamic Vinegar
400ml Beef Stock
1 onion, quartered
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 sprigs of thyme
1. Remove lamb from fridge two hours prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Rub lamb skin with salt and pepper. Place all ingredients into baking tray and place lamb on top. Cover with foil and make a seal.
3. Cook at 160°C for 5 hours. Ensure the foil forms a seal so that moisture does not escape.
4. Remove foil from lamb, it should be completely tender. Increase oven temperature to 175°C.
5. Continue to cook the lamb for 40 minutes, bast-ing every 10 minutes
6. Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes.
7. Serve with mash potato, roasted carrots and kale
For something a little different, swap the balsamic vinegar for a pomegranate mo-lasses and serve with fresh pomegranate and salsa verde.
Margan Ceres Hill Barbera
Hunter Valley, NSW
The trio of high acidity, intense black cherry notes and silky soft tan-nins, make Barbera the perfect match for a slow roasted shouler of lamb.
The cherry and savoury flavours of the wine will merge perfectly with roasted meatiness and caramalised fat of the lamb and balsamic glaze, while the trademark natural acidity of the Barbera will keep things fresh and balanced.